Thursday, February 1, 2018

SHOP VISIT : WILKINS AND KENT, THE PICTURE BOX AND SOME AMAZING ZARA HEELS


Bright and colourful bookshelves are some of my favourite things to take photos of 


The last shop visit for this week is Wilkins and Kent and The Picture box. I think these two shops were terrific to photograph, especially Wilkins and Kent because the homewares, books and knick knacks are so good there. So many different things in different colours and styles. A feast for an eclectic lover like me. 

Shelf game very strong here 

I can't help but think about the crazy months that are ahead for me. Four out of five of my days will be occupied besides Friday which might actually be occupied if I score my second internship with a Copy Writing agency ( fingers crossed for the interview next week ). 

It's just insane how quickly your life changes sometimes and how it can be one way this week and literally the next week it's just completely different. I'm not someone who is 'busy'. I feel like people like to complain that they are busy when it actual fact they're showing off about it. I've never been that kind of person and I think too many people take on too much in order to show off about it. What's wrong with living a life of leisure? 

Despite the fact the purple cat cushion doesn't align with the things I usually would buy, I still kind of like it for some weird reason

Wilkins & Kent is really the perfect pit stop for your homewares needs. There are lots of kitchenware, cook books and just pretty things you want to display in your home 
I like shops that don't skimp out on their display. My favourite types of displays are shelves and tables full of things. I don't like minimal displays, I feel like there's not enough to see 


Now I've done a couple of shop visit entries, it's really apparent that the best shops always have good lighting in place. It really is an essential component for any good looking space. I don't have that blessing of good lighting in my current bedroom which is really such a shame. I think good lighting has the power to change everything and really does brighten up the mood instantly. Colours and forms just look naturally good when you have that natural light flooding in. 



Here's my deal with ceramics and pots : I like them and think they look pretty but I get confused between the point where they are used functionally and the point where they are simply for ornamental purposes. How do you differentiate both and can you use an expensive ceramic functionally? Can you display a cheap ceramic ornamentally? It all kind of sounds silly of me, but this really does make me hesitate to buy ceramics. It's literally because I want to use them but I'm not sure it's right to? Of course you can use an expensive jug as a real jug for your kitchen, but is it right to do that when it's so expensive and probably much better off being looked at? Functional objects which are displayed as ornamental items, get me feeling kind of weird!

Such good colour combinations in this floral and fern print. It's really reminiscent of Gucci's aesthetic and vibe ( which really has transformed and changed in and of itself since two or three years back ) 

I haven't been featuring that many paintings as of late, so I thought I'd fill in the pictures and prints side of things by visiting The Picture Box . The Picture Box is actually a framing store but they had so many stunning prints and things in there that I had to pop in and have a look around. I think Framing is really the height of luxury for any decorating lover. It's not cheap, but it adds such a crispness to either the paintings or the prints you have and I definitely think it's a worthwhile investment if you have a piece that you really love and want to share with visitors to your home. 

๐Ÿ’“ ๐Ÿ’“ ๐Ÿ’“ ๐Ÿ’“

You know my obsession with Citrus fruit trees! I love everything about them. I like painting them, seeing them, being near them! It's my dream to have lots of lemon and orange trees in the future. Or maybe just one in my future home as a start! LOL 


Love these explosions of colour, excitement and beauty in this print. I think I'm way more of a maximalist at heart, to tell you the truth - but it doesn't come out in the way I dress 

๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘


Everybody's favourite artist is Yayoi Kusama ( or one of their favourites anyway ) Have you ever experienced an artists work and then said to yourself, " God, I wish I thought of that first? ". I feel that every time I see her work. I'm always struggling to have a more 'mature' and 'grown up' aesthetic but I struggle to because it's hard to rebel against the true you. So when I see that Kusama manages to do childlike, colourful and innocent in a complex, deep and mesmerising way. I admire and feel wonderment at her ability and masterfulness. It shows me that the surface is just that and only that. 






Loving all those colourful and printed mugs over there! 

Such an excellent selection of prints. I love that pink, zebra one especially. And the glass is so shiny on all the frames ✌ ✌


The reflection is pretty distracting here but you can still see the globe light bulbs inside which are pretty great. Lighting is definitely one of my favourite parts about decorating and home accessorising. 



Let's finish off this entry with these FAB heels from Zara! I saw these and literally stopped in my tracks to photograph them. You can see how delighted I am from the reflection of me smiling! Pink and red is such a great colour combo, throw in a super cute lips print and these are just perfect and fun additions to anyones shoe closet! The only thing stopping me from being a full blown shop-o-holic is purchasing things for the sake of their prettiness. If I buy something, then it must be used or worn. But these really are special, aren't they?

Got some really cool posts lined up for next week. What are you guys doing this weekend? The weather has cooled down a lot here in Melbourne which is such a relief to me. Hope you guys have a great weekend and see you all next week

xx

Wilkins & Kent
230 Brunswick St, 
Fitzroy, Victoria 
9419 5251
( They have another branch in the CBD, please visit their website for details ) 

The Picture Box
338 Smith St, 
Collingwood, Victoria
9417 6450 
( They have several other branches in other suburbs, please visit their website for details ) 

2 comments:

  1. those heels are fab. should i do a red floor and pink furniture?! HELP!!!! i wish you could fly here too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red floor and pink furniture sounds incredible! Those two colours really pop against each other! What kind of fixtures are you gonna get for your racks for the clothes? And what kind of ornaments are you gonna get? hahaha me flying over would be so fun! I can't wait to hear more as the days go along about your shop :-D

      Delete

Don't be shy ;-)