Sunday, January 14, 2018

P.F.F Feels : ARE YOU A STYLE SNOB?

 

How open minded are you about other peoples tastes? 

Maybe you're not that open minded or maybe you're willing to see it with a pair of un-judging eyes ( good move ). For me, I've tried to accept different tastes, ones that I didn't like and it kind of doesn't work. It's like forcing yourself to do something you don't want to do. I do believe however, in being able to see things on other people and appreciating it on them. Something that I would never wear or put into my home, looks perfectly sensible in someone else's home. That being said, my tastes and choices for basically everything that can be seen and touched is narrowing down more and more as time goes on. I know what I like more and what I don't like more and it's making shopping to be a whole lot easier. Whereas I used to throw out things all the time, now, things are being savoured and kept because they align to my values which are clearer than they would've been years back.


This set up right here is obviously five out of five if you're into this style. It sums up the moon goddess gypset vibe perfectly and I can appreciate that on someone else. I've met people who have defied my thoughts about styling. On the right person ( aka context ) things look good and this is an example of that. I've found that all style no matter what kind, has items which underpin it. They're like symbols which convey that particular style and you can tell right away what that person likes even if you're not a design or decorating nut like I am. If you can tick all the boxes by having that landmark item, then you're subscribing to that style in full force. Although I'm not a gypset moon goddess, I appreciate the fact that the person who made this set up has their values intact and blasting at full force. There's respect to be had in knowing what one likes, even if it's not traditional.


So maybe I can't put a positive spin on this particular look. I have to go so far as to say I really dislike this style. It's completely soulless. I know warmth and colour isn't the objective for this kind of architecture and vibe. It's a very 'million dollar home' look, which to be frank yet again, I'm not a fan of. If I were to ever walk into a property like this, I'll admit the first kinds of feelings i'd have would be peace and restfulness. It has a calming effect and you can tell the location here is really quite amazing. But too much grey stone and concrete, especially in the outdoors setting has a new housing development chic vibe which I can't get on board. But what I want to also add is this. Even though this particular style isn't my thing, the owners are obviously super successful in their chosen fields. They're enjoying their life by the beach with the breeze ruffling their hair and who am I to denounce whoever they are just because they like what they do?



I feel like the Scandinavian trend has sort of had its time and is on its way out. I enjoyed it because it proved that maximum impact doesn't necessarily equate to maximum effort. However, because it got so out of control in its popularity, it left its mark in the furniture and homewares industry for good. This isn't really a negative thing but what its created is a 'generic' blue print for people to rely on. Again, this isn't bad per se, but it starts to all look very bland and the same. Grey rugs, Beige couches, Birchwood shelves, Minimal Art, White ceramics, etc, etc. This living room above has all the staple items of a Scandinavian living room that it literally looks like something out of catalogue ( I think it is... ) I think the challenge for everybody who enjoys styling things is to be able to convey a look without relying heavily on the prescribed items of things because then it starts to look ' obvious '.



I like this room and think that its done up in great style. But that doesn't mean it actually is. The thing I want to point out is that everybody thinks that they have good taste and is justified in their vision. I do and so does the person who bought that million dollar home above and the gypset moon goddess maker. It doesn't mean I, nor anybody else should get precious about it. If somebody defies my idea of what I think is good, I shouldn't get defensive. Even more importantly, I shouldn't show distaste in their preferences in any form. I think being a good decorator or just enjoyer of the visual means having an open mind. No, we don't have to love everything but we do have to see everything.

Is there some styles, motifs, colours or vibes you just can't stand? Tell me about it below! 

5 comments:

  1. im with you on all your opinions on these, ha! i wonder what i would do if i had one of those million dolla houses though, i can't even imagine having all that space!
    i kind of hope the scandi thing is on its way out, i'm tiiiired of it. decorating my store is so hard because i have this scandinavian blue print in my head because EVERY store looks like that - so its hard to imagine anything different, if that makes sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, i like cannot wait to see your shop :-D Seriously, I'd love to do a post about it once its up and running, I have a lot of readers from Europe so it might be a cool idea for both of us!
      Omg, i'm so tired of the scandi thing as well. Like its super cool and I love the calmness of it all but if I see one more grey bowl or big, thick knitted white throw ....
      What kind of things have you stocked ( or are you not allowed to say ;-) ) ? Is it just homewares or is it all sorts of stuff? :-)

      Delete
    2. i'm currently like, trying to figure out how in the world to decorate it, i now have a clothes rack up! my favorite things are: silk shirts, rain jackets from lovealot, leather bags from atelier s&r, cool bags for guys from we the knot, lots of gorgeous jewelry, some magazines...some soaps...it was like a mega buying spree of things i like, ha!! i need to get on interviewing all of these amazing people who are making the things - and i have to get on a lot of things...but first i need to order a neon sign ;)
      and a fun post sounds awesome!

      Delete
  2. I also enjoyed Scandinavian style but personally I cannot say I would like to have my house decorarated this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. It's too bland and too boring. I'm too much of a colour and patterns type of girl ;-)

      Delete

Don't be shy ;-)